Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Brothers Karamazov Overall


There is no doubt that Dostoyevsky is an amazing author, Crime and Punishment, The Brothers Karamazov etc, however i find it so difficult to get through his books! They are not boring in topic at all, in fact they have many great themes and present ideas which could be discussed and debated for hours. However, they are the type of books which i need encouragement to read. Blogging is not exactly my thing, there are so many themes in the book that i wish we could have had time to go over in class, some of my favorites were:

In Book II when Zossimov briefly discusses his opinions on love

in Book II when Zossimov returns from talking to Madam H and Ivan is discussing the seperation of church and state with the monks

In book III-- the contradictory impulses within each character are presented throughout the entire novel but i think they are more blatant within Madonna Sodom and all that, that fascinates me because as complex and contradictory as a character can be, real people can be so much more so

In Book III-- when Smerdakov is discussing his religious views

Within the novel there are many points i like to talk about within the realm of reality. I like to speculate and look at things philisophically so looking at them solely within the plot of the novel is dificult for me....The Brothers Karamazov is a good book, but i definately dont think I would read it again. I still have a good hundred pages left and I plan to finish it over the weekend, but its not something im joyously looking forward to. I respect the book more than revel in its literary eloquence

No comments:

Post a Comment